The company's manufacturing network includes a state-of-the-art facility located in Towanda, PA,
which produces door designs, trim and panels, as well as door-manufacturing facilities in Christiansburg, VA,
Ozark, AL, Garland, TX and Plainfield, IL.
CMI is an equity investor in Jilin Fudun Timber Company Ltd, makers of particleboard, door facings and
related products, located in Dunhua, Jilin Province, PRC. Fudun is one of the largest and most respected
timber and wood products companies in China. The manufacturing plant in China is aimed at helping the company
grow its international molded interior door business, particularly in Asia, India and the Middle East, while
better positioning CMI for the domestic new construction market recovery.
Towanda, PA Plant
Towanda, Pennsylvania is home to the technology that created CraftMaster® molded door designs in 1968.
Located on over 270 acres, the Towanda mill pioneered the development of Pre-Stained molded door designs,
and continues to be the only facility worldwide to manufacture this proprietary product with this technology.
CraftMaster molded door designs are manufactured using advanced panel technology, wood fiber, and
environmentally safe resins to create precisely engineered wood products that perform better than their solid
wood counterparts. A CraftMaster molded door design is made from an engineered wood fiber mat that is molded
under intense heat and pressure into an 1/8" (3.2mm) thick sheet of high-density fiberboard. The result
assures consistent quality from door to door, room to room, and home to home.
Using its TEC™ patented and proprietary manufacturing technology, the CMI facility in Towanda also
manufactures both MiraTEC® Treated Exterior Composite Trim and Extira® Treated Exterior Panels.
Multiple manufacturing lines and a highly efficient operation allow for optimal production flexibility and
excellent customer service. With a team of scientists and engineers constantly improving its product offerings,
CMI continues to lead the building products market.
Towanda, Pennsylvania Plant has:
- 17.5 acres under roof.
- 273 acres of land.
- Specially engineered manufacturing lines which allow for production flexibility.
- Manufacturing products for use in the U.S. and throughout the world.
- Pioneered the molded door design technology in 1974.
- Developed the technology to manufacture Pre-Stained doors.
- Created the TEC™ process used to produce MiraTEC trim and Extira panels.
CMI manufactures and markets a full line of CraftMaster molded, stile and rail, and flush doors through
four state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities located across the U.S.
- This 138,000 square-foot facility has been serving door shops since 1990.
- Market area served: Delaware, Kentucky, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, New England, New Jersey, New York,
North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Eastern Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
- This 227,000 square-foot facility opened in 2005.
- Market area served: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi and Western Tennessee.
- This 253,000 square foot facility opened in 2007.
- Market area served: Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Southern Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas.
- This 80,000 square-foot facility has been serving a broad range of customers since 1969.
- Market area served: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota,
Nebraska, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin and parts of Central Canada.
CMI uses Lean Manufacturing to guide all processes and work flow to pay attention to the voice of customers.
The focus is exclusively on value as defined by customers and the goal is to eliminate as many non-value-added
activities as possible.
Environmentally Responsible Manufacturing Practices
With the Earth’s natural resources in limited supply, choosing products that are manufactured responsibly is
more important than ever. CMI uses sustainable products throughout its production processes, has initiated
energy saving programs in its facilities, and has earned third-party certification for no added urea formaldehyde
and the uses of recycled content in its products. CMI products also contribute to industry green building
People, Our Most Valuable Resource
CMI's Towanda facility surpassed 15 million man hours
without a lost time injury and was formally recognized for
re-certified VPP (Voluntary Protection Program) status. VPP is a
program established by OSHA, a United States government
agency, to recognize superior performance in the field of health